The NAUI Instructor Training Course (ITC) is designed to train and qualify NAUI Instructor member applicants. During the course, candidate instructors learn effective methods to teach skin and scuba diving in compliance with NAUI diving course standards.
The course assures the NAUI membership that candidates who receive certification as NAUI Instructors have the knowledge, skills, fitness and proper attitude to do so.
Certified NAUI Instructor course graduates are qualified to apply for NAUI Instructor membership in any status provided for in the bylaws of the association.
An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently teach NAUI sanctioned courses and authorize NAUI certification for graduates. An active-status NAUI Instructor may independently conduct NAUI recognition and experience programs and authorize formal recognition for graduates.
- Minimum age is 18 years by the water phase of the course
- Current certification as a NAUI Assistant Instructor or NAUI Dive master or other agency leaders who are NAUI FIT Program graduates
- Current certification in NAUI First Aid for Dive Professionals or equivalent. - Current certification in NAUI Oxygen Provider or equivalent
- Certified as a NAUI Nitrox Diver or equivalent
- A minimum of 60 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 30 hours bottom time.
- Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities
- A minimum of 6 months of diving experience is required
- Instructor candidates must pass the NAUI Instructor Pre-qualification Examination prior to the start of the ITC.
The Instructor Trainer or Course Director is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so. One open water dive (which does not count toward the minimum number of dives required for the course) may be used as a screening and evaluation dive.
This is not required when the student’s diving proficiencies are well known to the Instructor Trainer or Course Director.
Candidates shall furnish and be responsible for the care and maintenance of their own diving equipment
Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months.
In no event will medical approval be accepted wherein the physician signing the certificate is the student.
Included in the courses price - Text books & Course materials - Excluded - Air fills, open water entries, NAUI registration and trips away